Monday, September 26, 2011

Have Another Bite?

Once again, I have bitten off more than I can chew.  In my excitement to make my purchase of the generator and elevate my worries about the impending winter, I failed to realize that it was the beginning of a process and not the end of one.  First I discovered that it would not be delivered until 5 days later.  That seemed to be no problem since there were no storms on the horizon and I didn't even know how to work the darn thing. Five days later the phone rings and Home Depot tells me my generator has arrived and I can pick it up at my convenience.  I am thrilled.  Finally I will not have to worry about fall storms or winter isolation and I will have lights in the mist of all the chaos.  I arrived to discovered that three young strong men are needed to put the thing in my car.  It fits, but just barely. The last words I heard as I drove away were "You know that thing is gonna' hurt your gas mileage if you don't get it out of there pretty soon".  That's been a week.  I can't get it out of the car.  I have invited people to dinner. Asked my son-in-law to tea. Talked sweet to a man who is not for me and still "No go".  Tomorrow I will be forced to pay someone to get the fool thing out of my car. Then pay them some more to hook it up, show me what to do, and flip my mattress.  While here I will get my roof cleaned off and gutters un-stuck up and start preparing for the fall and winter which bring so many changes to the mountains.  I think of how the women of the frontier survived often alone in a desolate and unfriendly environment.  Indian raids, mountain lions, illness. As I hurry out the door to Kroger, carrying my gas can, wearing designer jeans and plenty of bling, now only getting l8 miles per gallon of gas, I know I have the stuff they were made of, pure stubbornness and possibly bad judgment.  But tomorrow, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara, a true Southern Frontier woman,  "As God is my witness, I shall never go without lights again".

No comments:

Post a Comment