Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What is a blog?

For several years now people have told me "You need to write a book" and I have really tried.  But its very difficult to write a book.  It takes time, attention, dedication and the ability to say something of worth in a way that others will read it and find it entertaining.  Now my daughters say "Mom, you should blog". I say, OK.  "What is a blog?"  I wonder how will people find it or why will they read it.  After watching that movie about Julia Child, I have decided though to give it a try. I do have time, will give it attention, are a little dedicated, and definitely have things to say.  Most of what I have to say is about what is happening to me.  I am growing old. I know everyone is surprised when it happens to them.  But the truth is, I am shocked. I keep thinking I was young such a short time ago.  Age does have some appeal and I think that it could be interesting, if not fulfilling in some sad and pitiful ways.  I  am single and live alone in the North Georgia Mountains where I see deer, bear and heavily bearded men on a daily basis. Since I can't move, don't know where to go, or what to do; I have decided to try and stay here and grow old with some civility.  And so, here is my first installment of my blog "Growing Old with Grace".  I am Grace and trying to live up to my name. My first advice, buy a good foundation.  And I don't just mean bras and control top panties. I mean don't just cover up the body, soften over the face. Use a good liquid foundation and a great neck cream. My favorite is Alexander de Markoff.  20 years ago, I used to buy it at Lloyd and Taylor in Mobile but now only find it online. Usually $55 a bottle but it last and covers well.  You can be thin and have your hair done but if you are a mess of wrinkles, it won't matter. Don't skimp on the neck. Buy the best you can afford.  We all ruined ourselves with the sun so a good foundation is like a good friend.  Get a good one and stick with them. And I still love the sun so a good sunscreen and a cute hat won't hurt.

1 comment: