Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Happening Along Hwy 5l5

And a good time was had by all.   I'm sorry but I really can't think of anything good to say about the Pickens County Marble Festival.  No, that's completely true.  The food was great.  If you didn't die from the fried Oreos, Twinkies and apple dumplings, you might have from the fried corn or the the fried pies or the fried okra.  There were also fried hamburgers, fried turkey burgers and french fries.  I ate gumbo. Not because I am that health conscious but just because I like it and it was actually very good. Reminded me of the Cajun cooking in Fairhope. The rest as they say is history.  I bought nothing, won nothing and didn't care.  I saw plenty of Santa look-a-likes and many of his brothers.  Mostly with Mrs. Santa but sometimes with their Hogs. As in Harley.  Needless to say, I did not meet Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now, not even Mr. One Night Might Be All Right.  PAR, Pickens Animal Rescue, did have a couple of adoptions and made more people aware that we are out there trying to help in a situation that seems almost hopeless. I have never seen people who try so hard and care so much.  Now everything in Jasper is covered in pink in Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Pink ribbons on cars, doors, windows and even hats.  In celebration of the occasion, I am having my Annual Breast Cancer Scare Event.  A mammogram followed by a phone call that scares me to death, telling me I have to get a biopsy which will cost me money I don't have, for a test I don't want, for an illness I don't need.  I don't think women in this country need a month of pink to make them aware of Breast Cancer.  Everyone I know has either had it or been scared to death by a radiologist somewhere that wants to make sure they don't have it.  But in case you have neglected to honor this month, and need to, go get your mammogram and take your medicine so that we are all here next year for the next Marble Festival. Mammograms....a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment