Friday, December 2, 2011

Red Mud and Green Grass Stains, Its a Jasper Christmas

What's red and green, fully bearded,  and can be located on any street corner in Jasper, Georgia, but can not be seen?  No, its not Santa's special helpers.  Its just all the local guys in town for  the Jasper Christmas Night of Lights, and they are wearing their camo.  I had hoped for more Christmas and less Jasper but you get what you get.  I know that there are more hunters in North Georgia than there are people in Alabama.  To these guys, dressy casual is camo without red mud on it.  Everywhere you look there's a pick up truck up to its bumper in red, dried Georgia clay.  All the men go all camo, all the time.   I am not a fan of hunting, especially since I have managed to name and tame all the deer in my yard.  But the Hillbillies have taken it to a new level.  There are more dead deer in the back of trucks in downtown Jasper than there are along Interstate 85 from Atlanta to Montgomery.  We used to have the cutest little health food store that served homemade jellies and organic lunches.  Birdseed and vitamins. I loved it.  This past year due to the economy the lady who rented it, moved.   Now its a taxidermy/deer cooler place.  Five rusted out pickup trucks and an 18 Wheeler have taken the place of the beamers and convertibles that used to buy their vitamins and vegetables at that location.  Since Thanksgiving large black birds have been circling the parking lot. The guys stand around down there getting a Pepsi from the neon lighted machine,  on what was a cute and classy front porch, shooting the bull (better than the deer), sitting on plastic yard furniture and throwing cigarette butts into what's left of the herb garden.  I've recently noticed a beautiful l0 pointer in my neighborhood.  I think he's smelled the fire at the taxidermy place and decided to winter with the does of my subdivision.  I will pray he makes it until Christmas without chasing some misguided young doe out the gate and toward his doom.   In the meantime, you all understand more and more why I don't have a date for New Year's.  More on the Christmas parade later.

No comments:

Post a Comment