Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

I loved my Christmas Party.  I really had a wonderful time.  My trees were rockin' and got rave reviews and my mantel was praised and I didn't have to brag 'cause everyone else did it for me.  I thought about what to write and I decided that  I could write something mushy about women finding their way alone.  Or about the beauty of friendship filling the gaps of loneliness.   I could write about the power of the human spirit as it struggles to right itself and find its place in an unfriendly and dangerous world.  But the truth is, I just had a really good time with a bunch of people I enjoyed.  I drank my Vodka Punch and ate my overcooked meatballs and my brown sugar ham and went to bed with a feeling that I was beginning to be me again.  I could talk about feeling overwhelmed by life and swallowed by an enormous male ego to the point that I didn't exist.  But the truth is,  I  made it through another year with all those feelings.  I made it through.   Even overwhelmed and complaining and broke.  I can't say that its easy to be alone.  Its not.  You wish that at this time of year there was someone who loved you and cared about you.  But if you stop long enough to think about it, you see that you are.  It may not be the way you expected it to be, nor the way that others think it should be.  But you can know within yourself that you are a good person, a person that others like, that your life matters and more importantly that others matter to you.  If you get nothing else this Christmas.  If you don't get a new car or even a gallon of gas.  If  your gift is to know that you have love in your life;  you have received the gift of the Magi, the gift foretold by the Angels, the gift given by the Father and laid in a manager, the gift of true Grace.  Merry Christmas to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment