Monday, March 21, 2011

One Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

My head was hurting and so was my heart but I just couldn't walk away.  I kept thinking of the old joke where the woman finds her husband in bed with another woman and says "What is that woman doing here?"  and the other woman gets up, gets dressed and walks out and the husband says "What woman?".  That picture played over and over in my head.  I pulled into a filling station and got out and filled up the tank using my husband's Visa.  I looked across the street at the very classy restaurant and lodge and knew that I would spend the night there with a great dinner and a very good bottle of wine, or two.  Courtesy of my new best friend, My Husband's Visa. But in the meantime, I was heading back almost before I knew I was doing it.  I pulled in the driveway on two wheels. Grabbed the camera and starting taking pictures. "For Sale" sign, new toy,  trashed yard.  I caught myself almost knocking on the door but instead went in with my best Ricky Ricardo impression, "Lucy, I'm hooomme". You kinda' had to be there.  And he was...surprised.  No, that's not right.  I think he was confused.  He seemed to be looking around like he didn't know what to do.  No, it was anger.  He was looking for something to hit me with. He was mad at me for coming in and ruining his Memorial Weekend.  I snapped a couple of shots then started to the bedroom.  I expected that Miss Evil would have locked herself into the bathroom ( I know that at 22 if I had been caught in such a mess I would be in there with the shower curtain pulled, crying my eyes out, door locked) but NO, that didn't happen.  She was standing there in the master bedroom wearing a towel and a smile.  I realized then she had on some kind of wrap thing.  Blue. I tried to focus to take a picture but my hands were shaking so badly and my husband was yelling at me when all of a sudden  Miss Evil opened the wrap.  "You want to know why he left you, look at this, here's a picture".  I know I heard it but I still even now can't believe it.  I was so shocked that I fell backwards right into my husband.  He was grabbing at me and the camera and we both fell into the wall. The dogs were barking up a storm.  Miss Evil snatched up the wrap and started yelling "I am not going to take anymore of this mess, get her out of here, right this minute".  You would have thought I was the "other" woman.  She seemed completely at ease in my house, naked with my husband.  My husband and I both stumbled toward the back door.  Me snapping away at God knows what and him yelling.  He pushed me out the door, just as Miss Evil came running into the den.  "Here, you want a picture, take a picture of this" she yelled while throwing her arm around my husband's old wrinkled neck.  I snapped my last shot.  I left the same way I came in.  A mess. I got to the car and my sweet puppies came over.  I felt that I was abandoning them but I knew I couldn't take them to the lodge and I knew I couldn't drive to Georgia.  I would pick them up the next morning with the movers there as a buffer.  Now, I'd go call my family and friends and have a nervous breakdown.

1 comment:

  1. Becky, this is so incredible and so true. I lived it with you. If someone doesn't believe all this is true....they just need to call me.

    ReplyDelete