Saturday, April 16, 2011

Birdhouses 102



My birdhouse took second place in the Annual ArtFest in Jasper, Georgia, this past weekend.  Last night  I was recognized by the Arts Association in an after hours soiree.  In Jasper that's french for finger food and beer.  Hillbillies, artists and gay guys. Where do I live?  I had hoped for first place (and the assigned prize money) but was moved into the fine arts category where the competition was fierce. They have real artist in this small mountain town.   I am proud though.  Now if I can find a market for them.  The ones above are named "Formal Garden Party-Tails Optional" and "My Ladies Boudoir-A Fine Feathered Nest".  Birdseed can be placed in the china saucers at the front.  After construction I use a varied selection of jewelry, broken and small china and antique bits and pieces of things that I have gathered over the years or found at yard sales.  One house also has a small ladies handbag and a velvet glove, an old watch and pearls.  Old spoons and antique hat pins add interest. An old linen napkin and a ladies hanky add some texture. A miniature cup and saucer or teapot serve as a chimneys.  A vintage enameled lipstick is used as a perch.  I design each birdhouse around a theme and then look for items to complete the project.  My booth at Burnt Mountain Trading Company here in Jasper will carry the birdhouses and I plan to start putting them on eBay.  The dear carpenter friend I have mentioned before seemed to have vanished since I turned down an after class invitation but he resurfaced for the presentation.  I had been a little ddiscouraged about continuing to build but I know I can do these by myself.  The other projects like benches and yard art will be difficult.  Maybe I can train a bear or dear.  I think that would be easier than getting a boyfriend.  A boyfriend with a truck and his own power tools.  Heaven on earth. Maybe I should just go get the truck myself. And a dog.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to the truck and a dog. I have a pit bull I picked up so it wouldn't get his by a truck? He is sweet. Free to a good home.

    ReplyDelete