Sunday, April 10, 2011

If Loving You was Wrong, It was Wrong

During the summer I was invited to the Gulf for a week and after six phone calls and twice that many emails, my ex consented to allow me "visitation" with my dogs. We had agreed to liberal visits but with him so far away, and uncooperative, that had not happened.  While talking with him in person, he seemed rather uncomfortable and nervous.  He told me over and over how "content" he was without me, or anyone. In fact he volunteered that he never thought about sex, just money.  But he was so very happy.  I did notice his leg jiggled a lot. I had come to spot that as a sure fire lie detector, second only to his lips moving.  But he was volunteering all the info, so I listened.  It hurt my feelings some to think he'd rented a house right across from the one we had owned a few years before as a summer house.  I had loved it.  Now, this may be a little difficult to explain without running the risk of prison, late alimony or a federal investigation but I found out my ex had moved again just a few weeks later.  I wasn't surprised.  I mean we moved a lot during the years, but it had only been a few months and he was gone again.   I knew he was thinking about it because he had called me and asked if I would commit fraud on the federal level and lie on a loan application and say "No, he doesn't have to pay me that alimony. I was supposed to get it but its fine if he doesn't".  Like I would want to do that to make him happy and that the person I told that lie to wouldn't think it was a lie. The only surprise in his action was that he didn't notify me or give me an address change.  It was just another one of those times when you find out something and know its by the grace of God. When I got the address, I immediately went on line and began a property search for homes for sale at that address. Now it seemed that he had moved into a precious little cottage in Magnolia Springs, Alabama.   When we had first started dating, I had taken him to Magnolia Springs and told him that when we retired or I died, whichever came first, that Magnolia Springs was were I wanted to spend my eternity. Buy me a house or scatter my ashes but let me be there.  Every time I went to the beach I drove down those live oak lined streets and went to Jesse's for dinner.  I dreamed of living on the Magnolia River and lounging under a canopy of oaks with azaleas and wisteria everywhere.  I took him to the Cold Hole and told him stories about swimming with gators.  The little house looked exactly like me. I knew where it was located and had driven past it a hundred times. I sent pictures of it to my girlfriend.  She called and said, "No straight, single man would ever buy that house.  He has a girlfriend." I can't say that I didn't know the truth.  I did, but still I couldn't believe that he'd be involved with his ex daughter in law.  How can you sit around the table at Thanksgiving knowing you and your son both had.....well, you know? I didn't ask again though. But when he casually mentioned he had moved.....casually.... and described it as 3BR......I mentioned that he might want a roommate. That he might want that little non-English-speaking one he had so often talked about.  Then I said, "You might even want to live with your ex daughter in law. You seem so fond of her now that she's divorced your son and isn't asking for money every week or calling complaining about him". I can't tell you the number of times he told me she was a money hunger little gold digger.  Of course, he didn't admit that he had found love in is own family tree until the day she left him.  Then he told me how she had used him and insisted they buy the house and remodel and how he'd taken all of his 401k to make her happy. When others finally knew the old dog was up to the new trick, she'd gone home to Momma. So again life had just not been fair to him.  And hard to understand but he didn't seem to have much of a relationship with his son anymore either. He couldn't believe that it hadn't worked out.  They got along so well.  They had so much fun together.  How could it be wrong when it had felt so right?   I got out the dictionary to look up incest.

No comments:

Post a Comment