Thursday, April 7, 2011

Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places

All right,  I asked, "What is wrong with this picture?"  My ex and I communicated but something was up. He related some information but he seemed a bit reserved and evasive. He wasn't mean but he sure wasn't nice.  He acted like I meant about as much to him as a pickle in jar.  He could take me or leave me.  Dill or sweet, didn't matter to him.  It all seemed to depend on his mood.  Most of the news he shared was about his single daughter giving birth to a baby girl. His son was getting a divorce.  My ex told me he was moving to South Alabama.  He'd rented the lake house to the bug man.  The bug man.  Ok, we are talking a very expensive piece of waterfront property.  A pretty big investment and the bug man was renting it.  Now I have nothing against bug men. In fact, when I have bugs, I like them a whole lot.  Today I literally fell in love with the bug man when he promised to destroy the termites I had found before they destroyed me and my N. Georgia home, but, the bug man???? "You know, Joe Smo, (or whatever), the bug man." No, I didn't know him and I was willing to bet, neither did my ex.  Later when I went to Alabama and drove by the house, I knew the story. Before the house had been trashed, now it was trash.  From all appearances the house looked abandoned.  I parked and looked in.  The curtains were in shreds on the floor.  Trash everywhere.  Cabinet doors hanging off the hinges. Joe Smo had even moved the sauna from the rec room into the master bedroom where now it was scratching the hardwoods and taking up l/3 of the room. Even the ashes from the bar-b-q where dumped on the deck.  It was a miracle the house was still standing. Weeds and debris everywhere.  I called my ex and he said he knew already.  It seemed the bug man had failed to make the rent in months.  Threats of legal action had to be taken.  Once again my ex had been mistreated by life. "What's a guy got to do to get a break?" Maybe stop lying, cheating, being a jerk?  Later I was to learn that the house was back on the market for sale. It was cleaned up and painted and thanks to a hail storm, got a new roof. My accountant told me that a young woman came with my ex to pick out the paint colors and make arrangements for clean up.  "She just held on to his every word. Followed him around like a little puppy dog."  Who would think this man is smart and truly gifted?  Who would hang on to his every word? Thank God for Facebook.  All you gotta' do is look at the pictures.  Again, pictures told the story.  His  until recent daughter in law, now young, single, divorced from his son, was really smiling on his wall. My Lord, that girl used to be our babysitter.  I had known her for 20 years.  We had gone to church together. I knew she was the puppy dog type but wouldn't you want someone else to hold your leash? After all she'd seen the activity of the last year. But then, money talks and someone walks. He, of course, once again, denied, denied, denied. When I said, please, don't be sleeping with her; his answer was,  "You don't have to worry about that."  Taxes and Termites!  Now there's something to worry about!

No comments:

Post a Comment