Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Memory of Herbie

I got the news today that Herbie Broom had passed away.  Herbie was just 58. I had known Herbie almost all my life.  In school he was the guy most likely to make you laugh.  He was a big guy, much larger than most of the guys in elementary school and that claim continued through junior high and into high school and onto college.  He was a mighty force to be reckoned with on the football field and went on to sign with Auburn his senior year at Lee High School in l970. He was a force off the field at times also.  But mostly, he was just a mess.  I can remember sitting close to him in class all through the years and never knowing a dull moment. He would be surrounded by a bunch of guys, all trash talking and carring on.  He could really make you laugh. And he laughed with you.  And, boy, that guy could get in more trouble.  I was never the most popular girl in school but many times I managed to be friends with the ones who were and in the 5th grade at Forest Avenue, I was friends with Theresa Helms who was the most popular.  John Rogers, the most popular boy, had a crush on her and had invited her to the Cloverdale Theater to see a movie that I have long forgotten.  The date I do remember though because Theresa couldn't go without a friend and I was the lucky friend.  For that reason, Herbie Broom became the first boy I had a "date" with.  Of course, Herbie and I both were just along for the ride; but in my book, I was almost as lucky as the most popular girl who was with the most popular boy, because I was with the biggest and the funniest one.  And he did hold my hand.  Years later I came to love his big brother, Bill, as much and many times over the years have felt the sadness that his life ended too early and in such tragedy.  Now I have the same regret for Herbie.  When we are young we think we will live forever and seldom do we look at the big, funny guy next to us and realize that some day that funny boy will be a grown man with serious health issues.  Never do we think he will die.  My deepest sympathy is extended to the Broom family, especially Herbie and Bill's mom who was such a nice person.  I truly can not image her loss.  But it also is given to all of us at Lee High School and Cloverdale Jr. High and Forest Avenue Elementary who knew and loved one, Herbert E. Broom.  A guy you couldn't help but love.

No comments:

Post a Comment