Friday, March 16, 2012

A Southern Man

Almost 30 years ago, I watched Percy Sledge sing "When a Man Loves a Woman" to a small group of folks in a old bar in Daphne, Alabama, in the arms of the best man I have ever known. We were celebrating our first St. Patrick's Day together.  It was one of those nights when you wish you had a diary or a best girl friend so you could go home and call or write about it.  Instead I went home with that great guy, my late husband and wrote about it in my heart.  This St. Patrick's Day would have been our 28th Anniversary since we chose that day for our wedding.  This week  I think I got the best present I could have gotten'.  I got to hear Joshua Ledet sing "When a Man Loves a Woman" in what will be remembered as one of the best moments on American Idol ever.  Y'all know I am an Idol nut. Every year I watch, record and  listen from the very beginning. I love the out-takes, all the show prep, everything.  I have noticed that all the contestants say the say thing.  They all  just knew they would be on Idol.  That they have watched the show for 9, l0, 11 years, etc.  and......They just knew it.  Well, I have watched it for 11 years also and never once have I thought I would be on that show.  And I have been right.   I do want to say though that I love  Phillip Phillips, especially his eyes and sweet smile.  His wild style.  That is some cute Georgia boy, but  Joshua blew it out of the water.  And Joshua is a southern guy also.  He's from Louisianan and eats his crayfish to prove it.  I am such a regional bigot and snob.  I truly believe all the heat and humidity down here just makes us sweat and opens up our pours and makes us have less wrinkles, curlier hair and sing more soulful songs.  And all that inter-marrying stuff they talk about just makes us more interesting.  And our sweet-tea and fried chicken only makes us more grateful to be alive.  Its just all good.  Well, anyway,  it was the  highlight of a long and frustrating day for me and somehow hearing that song made it all a little better.  So Happy Anniversary, Honey in Heaven from me and Percy and Joshua.

1 comment:

  1. Becky, this makes want to cry. I can't believe we are reduced from such a wonderful memory of tomorrow to us gals going to Rocco's. Now I really want to cry. Damn

    ReplyDelete