Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hope Springs Eternal in Spring

What is it about spring that makes us stop and rethink our lives?  Is it the rebirth of the earth all around us or the promise of Easter?  I know that every year about this time I seem to find myself thinking of my life and/or the life that has chosen me. I have come to believe that everyone is writing their own story.  For many its a long love story, for others a thriller.  Mine a comedy of errors. As a young person I thought that you learned from your experiences but now I believe you create them. We create them by looking at our past.  We reach a fork in the road where we have to make a choice. We look back and see how we chose before, which way did we go. Common sense would tell us that we would see our mistakes and learn from them, but I firmly believe instead that we make the same mistakes over and over.  Maybe this is why so many thoughtful people have come to believe in reincarnation. Those mistakes have become such a part of our self image that we become the mistakes. If we have lied, we are a liar. If we cheated, we are a cheater. If we stole, we are a thief. If we have been victimized, we often become a victim. I love the Robert Frost poem, A Road Less Traveled ; but I firmly believe that the road he has chosen is less traveled, not so much by others, but by the author himself.  I think that the author has chosen to take a new direction in his life. That he has looked back at his mistakes and made a choice to venture into a less familiar direction. A direction that has made all the difference for him.  As I stumble along this new road for me, I step into potholes and trip over tree roots, but I continue to move forward on a road that has been less traveled by me.  A road alone, trying to find my way, without a man who lends strength, advice or direction, growing old.  Asking why I don't love someone and why no one loves me, and hearing God whisper softly, you do, you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment