Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oil and Wildflowers, That's Texas

This past week, I spent visiting my sister in Texas.  My ex husband paid for my ticket.  It seems my divorce is so much like my marriage.  I love him, remain faithful to my vows, act nice when I feel like screaming.  He on the other hand, ignores me, sometimes is angry at me, and pays for everything I need.  If you don't count the fact that we haven't spoken in a year and haven't had sex in over three, its my marriage all over again.  I have never really liked Texas.  Too hot and too much wind.  While there it rained though and I thought about turkeys who get so confused that when it rains they stare up at the sky, often drowning.  So it would appear with Texans since they always seem to have a drought.  I did find it amazing that almost every little "ranch" or piece of property from Corpus to San Antonio now has a oil rig on it.  Every day folks are becoming millionaires over night as the sign off the leasing rights to this otherwise almost barren land. These rigs are not on government land, they are on private ranches snuggled in beside the cows, next to old sheds and on patches of hard dirt that have been passed down through generations and where owners smartly kept the mineral rights in tact.  This is the "we're drilling more than ever before" that the President talks about.  It has nothing to do with the government but instead is private enterprise at its best.  When you walk the "ranches", the hard dirt and dryness of Texas, you find yourself lost in the wild flowers that cover the grown.  Here Indian Blanket, Blue Bells, Rubeckia, Corn Flowers and Chickseed grow in abundance. And with the flowers come the butterflies who bounce across the top of the fields like magic dots.  Yellow and white monarchs and black swallowtails, huge gold and brown moths.  A beauty that I will long remember mingled with the loving thoughts of my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment