Monday, April 2, 2012

Two Rights Make a Wrong

This past weekend I was entertained by three of my dearest, life-long friends.  Susan I have known since I was three, Kitty since elementary school and Maye since high school.  Susan was and is the beauty and cheerleader.  Kitty, always so cute and the funniest, best story-teller ever.  Maye, our former Jr. Miss is still brilliant and a walking dictionary.  Almost yearly we find some way to get together and share a meal and a laugh.  Only with people you love dearly and who love you could you talk about Tourrets, Jesus, Weight Watchers, Fried Chicken, a French Restaurant, high school boyfriends, divorce, politics and farming before breakfast.  If you can talk politics and religion with three a little over middle-age women who have not had coffee, you know you are with your peeps.  The problem with being with your peeps in the hen house is that there was so much clucking going on I found it hard to concentrate.  I drove and felt like I was losing my mind half the time. By Saturday I noticed often we had to hold up our hand up to get a word in. We talked in circles and up and down and back and forth. By Sunday the stress had taken a toll.  Everyone was tired and needed a nap.  In the afternoon I got completely loss driving roads I knew well. Someone packed and took home my toothbrush. One of us couldn't find our cell phone and I left mine and had to drive back to Marietta to get it. I blamed age, lack of sleep, emotional exhaustion, early on set dementia, medication and stupidity.  The truth is my head was over whelmed and my ears were worn out. I had loved every minute but I was so glad to get home and in my bed. This morning after a good night's sleep, I took out the box of cute shoes that all of us had bought at Belks on sale and low and behold, I had two right shoes.  Maybe it is the dementia thing.

1 comment: