Saturday, May 14, 2011

North Georgia Wildlife

Lets talk irony.  Last post I made fun of people way up here in North Georgia buying stuff with bears on it, and wow! this morning I saw my first bear of the season.  OK, you must admit though that buying that stuff made in China is different that having to stop your car and wait for a few hundred pounds of black fur to walk across the street, right in front of you.  This was one big old boy and he had traffic stopped in both directions.  A real traffic jam. Of course, in my neighborhood that means, two cars, but still it is exciting to see them up close and personal.  A couple of months ago we culled the deer in our neighborhood and since then our wildlife has seemed different.  I still see deer, all the time.  But they are a  little more skittish and not quite as "friendly".  It caused a firestorm of complaints and upset but I could see both sides of the issue.  When asked my opinion I always just used my one liner. "Heck, I'm from Alabama, we shoot and eat everything in Alabama".  I love seeing the deer and it was one of the things that attracted me to my neighborhood. After a while though, you kinda' get used to it, but I don't think I will ever get used to the big, black bears that roam our mountains.  I have heard that there's a mother up in a higher elevation that has twins.  I saw that two years ago and would really like a chance to see it again.  The cubs are so cute and its hard to resist the temptation to feed them.  But with a momma around you don't get too close. It is wonderful to live some where that you do see nature and wildlife all around you.  Last night my girlfriends were coming up from Atlanta and we had planned to head into town for a different kind of wildlife, most of which I think would make the bear seem tame and well coiffured. Bluegrass, barbeque and beer. That's North Georgia. Our plans though were cancelled at the last minute once again leaving me the chance to say "I have rarely been out past 9:00 P.M. since moving here". My record is holding.

No comments:

Post a Comment