Monday, May 2, 2011

Spuds on Studs

I am an avid reader.  Not always do I read the classics, you know.  Sometimes I read trash.  I have just finished the "Sweet Potato Queens' Divorce Guide".  Last week I read "Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Men".  Both seem to take the view that there are two kinds of men out there, Good or Bad.  Most of the good ones are married to someone else, dead or gay. This latest guide book was actually two sided.  The other side is the "Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Guide".  It is refreshing to know that most women understand that one of these events usually leads to the other. Especially southern women of a certain age.  This, of course, is not a new phenomenon though. And it is certainly not just a southern tradition.  I'm sure you will remember the line in my favorite holiday classic "Its A Wonderful Life" where Jimmy Stewart's maid brings him the money she has been saving when she realizes he is in trouble.  She says "I've been saving it in case I get a husband, so I can get me a divorce" or something close.  That's 50 years old and women even then where looking at the future with Mr. Right as maybe Mr. Right Now but Who Knows.  Obviously the author, Jill Conner Browne, has seen that what goes up, often goes down, and that is often true in marriage. Her advice is advice to live by.  One day you will look back on this divorce and laugh.  Its the only hope for any of us.  And if we are gonna' laugh about it sooner or later, well, sooner is better. So laugh now.  Some days I find that all that has happened to me is absolutely hilarious.  Some days it makes my head hurt.  After reading the Divorce Guide I am convinced that more people than you can shake a stick at are having some weird things happen to them on the way to the divorce court.  Maybe I am more normal than not. Normal is not something to strive for.  The gay couple I work for seem to have just as many difficulties as the straight couples I know.  I wonder that if they are not married, will they have to divorce if the problems become tragedies.  And if they do, will it be full of one liners and funny events also.  They are vacationing in France for three weeks.  I will have to write myself a note so that I can remember to ask them when they return. Obviously they are not saving their money for a divorce. Lucky them. Maybe I should write the "Gay Couples Guide to Divorce and/or Breaking Up Depending on Which State You Live In".  If its a hit, I can go to France, too.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Sweet Potato Queens!!! We are queens too and need to remind each other of it. Not wanna bes but true queens. We just need a name.

    ReplyDelete