Friday, June 17, 2011

Daisy Does a Doe

Last night I slept with a dog. If someone else said that you would probably think they were making some kind of sexual overtones. I am, in fact, telling you that either I have mellowed in my OLD age or I really am lonely. Right after I turned the lights out, my sweet female golden, pounced on top of me in bed.  I have had dogs all my life and except for allowing my grandpuppy, Cha-Cha, to curl up with me in the mornings when visiting, I have never had a dog in my bed.  Believe me, she is not the worst thing I have let in my bed as my recent unpleasantness will attest to. My pups have been here a week and this was the first time she'd even made any slight request to join me in my bed.  After thinking about it, I am sure it was her way of apologizing for a real blunder on her part earlier in the day.  Every morning I walk the dogs and Daisy the female almost breaks her neck either taking off (with leash attached) after a squirrel or a deer. Big Waldo would love to do the same but he's heavy and old and its hard enough for him just keep up on the hills and winding roads here in the mountains.  Daisy knows no such bounds and loves the chase.  Yesterday I let them into the back yard to do their business then called them right in.  Waldo headed to the air conditioning of the house but something caught Daisy's eye.  I saw her head turn and her ears pick up only a moment too late.  Before I could say "fat chance" she was gone.  The little doe's white tail disappeared about the same time Daisy's head did.  She doesn't bark so the only way to know the direction they were heading was to listen for all the other dogs in the neighborhood to sound the alarm as she and the doe rushed by.  I could hear the King George Spaniels on the next street as I ran out the door.  By the time I reached the top of the hill behind me the Corky was yelling "here she is".  But when I rounded the corner to his house, I could hear the golden who lives across the street telling me they had made a circle and were heading back.  The Shi tzu was barking by this time but she barks all the time so I couldn't be sure that Daisy and the Doe were on the right or left side of the neighborhood. I had on flip flops and my feet were killing me. Thank God, I was wearing a bra.  Finally I made it back to my house and saw Daisy sitting in the yard intently studying a hole in the ground.  The deer was no where in sight.  I planned on killing her but to my surprise the little doe came back down the hill and stood and looked at us both. Her tail was straight up in the air and she kicked her paw against the ground and blew.  She shook her head at us almost as if teasing Daisy to get and do it again. I don't which one of us, Daisy or me, was more awe struck, but neither of us moved an inch. Instead I sat down on the ground beside her and watched a sight I will never forget. Daisy had made a friend and I had witnessed a wild animal be tamed by the sweet loving nature of my dear dog. She can sleep with me again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment