Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"And We Could Live Happily Ever After"

It was with great sadness that I read that Nora Ephron had passed away due to a long fight with leukemia. Nora Ehpron was not only brilliant but she understood like no modern day writer the heart of a woman.   A woman who was successful but who wanted to be loved. A woman who still believed in a fairy tale.  But knew to laugh at herself for believing it.  When you ask a single woman what she wants, what she needs; she will relate a story by Nora.  She will tell you a funny story about loving a man she had known for years,  loving a man she really didn't know at all but whom she looked for everywhere, in every man's eyes.  The stories of Nora Ehpron are the stories of modern women falling in love with their best friend, falling in love with a dream and falling in love with an idea. They are the classics we watch over and over. "When Harry Met Sally", "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've Got Mail", "Julie and Julia".  If only her stories could be my own.  If only her stories could be true for me.  If I could but find a man who loved me to the end, who got me, and who I wanted in return then I could be the heroine of my own story.  If  I could  be loved by a  sweet man like Tom Hanks. And look like a young Meg Ryan.  And even better,  if I could write one word that made my point, or reached your heart or made you laugh or love the way she did.  That would be the best.  Then I would be a writer of a story.  A story like Nora Ephron wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment