Sunday, June 3, 2012

In the World of Er and Est

I have heard it said that only a fool compares himself to others.  Then we are all fools.  I don't know anyone who doesn't wish they were richer, skinner, sexier or smarter, or something. The problem seems to be that none of us are the richest, skinniest, sexiest or smartest.  The trouble with comparing ourselves is that there will always be someone better off in every area of our lives. This weekend I found myself caught in the spiral of comparison. I sat by the pool in my neighborhood and quickly became aware that my age, body, face, IQ and tan were are failing terribly in the "world of ER and EST". Everywhere I looked someone looked better and had more or less of something.  Brown spots, wrinkles, sags and bulges and money. Also there were a bunch who were worse off but I don't find that all that comforting any more.  I thought about the email my ex-husband had sent me recently saying he'd never felt he had made the grade.  It surprised me since to tell you the truth, I never got the feeling he was spending that much time trying to reach any great heights in his life strategy.  Now though I guess I can see that he was but that it was such a losing proposition that it seemed easier to not try.  And that a 22 year old  bimbo could make even a loser feel superior when he compared himself to her and more surprisingly, found himself to be her love object. Even for a short time. And even if it costs a lot of money. I have decided men don't mind being loved for their money.   After all, they make the money that buys the love so its really no different than a woman being loved for her looks, body or culinary skills.  And we all want to be loved for our personality, not in spite of it.  We are all buying love, one way or another.  And the more ER we are, the more likely that we will be loved for it.  So in the name of love, I am going to go to the gym more, have a little work done(details later) and buy a bottle of self tanner.  I will not be the bestEST but , Lord forgive me, I sure as heck don't want to the worEST.  And I am going back on Match.com and try to find a man who will love me for my ER and EST. Good or bad. And so I begin.....its like Round 247 or so, but who's counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment