Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dating for Dummies - Steps Four & Five

Dating Strategy Based on the AA Twelve Steps
Made Moral Inventory of Ourselves, Admitted Our Faults to God, Ourselves and Another Individual and If Necessary Made Restitution for Any Wrongs We Have Committed
While I sit around and wait for lightening (or enlightenment) to strike me again on my dating front, I am continuing on my spiritual journey of working the Twelve Steps.  Since completing step three, I have found that my Higher Power may not mind me dating but He is not going to make it easy for me. The internet/cable guy was not for me, nor the computer guy who charged me a ton and couldn't fix my computer after a week of trying, not his helper who needed a belt as they often seem to do, not the man who changed my flat tire, the one who emailed me ten requests for a date while my computer was out, nor the one I had coffee with today after all the disasters and smoke from the lightening cleared.  If my Higher Power decides I shouldn't date and instead brush up my skills of old lady entertainment, including by not limited to fine finger painting, gossiping and cutting out recipes from Southern Living, then I will look at the completion of these steps as self improvement and something for the masses to read.  The masses being you my readers who now are running anywhere from 35-50 per blog. Small mass, but in a medical sense, the best kind to have. Making a moral inventory is not easy. You have to look at your good points as well as your shortcoming. I grew up with a mother who made it fairly easy to know my shortcomings; so I have long list of shortcomings.  And I am not afraid of listing them. Impatient, likes things to be done in a certain way, some need for control or at least the pretense of it, a little outspoken. But good qualities??  Lord, I am not sure. I have been told that I am good company by both men and women. I was a good student. I am not lazy. I do not like to cook and do not make my own clothes.  See what I mean.  Its easier to see the fault than the good points.  Well, there's another shortcoming. This is hard for me.  As to wrongs that I have committed, well, I have failed to......make my marriage work, learn how to earn enough money that it didn't matter. Those are my two biggies.  I have now admitted them to all of you.  How I make restitution for those two wrongs will have sit on the page with "To Date or Not To Date".  If I'm supposed to make up to the guy I had a date with last week, I will remain forever dateless.   If I have to date the guy I had coffee with this morning who arrived in his black vet but had to cut things short because he had to bush hog, I am sure of it.  But I hear thunder and I am praying there's some lightening with it and it will with any luck, strike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment