Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture

If you read my blog, you know my world consists of two events.  Nature and Nurture.  One I have in abundance, Nature, and one I am in dire need of.  A woman must be filled up to keep herself afloat.  Since I find no man interested or interesting enough to do that; I find that God provides me with his own special healing in the beauty of the N. Georgia Mountains.  The sky today is brilliant blue and a gentle breeze promises an early fall.  It was one of those days when the beauty around me surpassed the sadness that often keeps me from being my usual happy and neurotic self.   The highly effective and very frugal Georgia Department of Transportation and Roads is paving a small but vital stretch of the road leading to my neighborhood.  This afternoon six pieces of heavy duty equipment was brought in to do the 1/2 mile or so of needed paving.  Three pieces sat idle by the road and fourteen (l4 in case you have trouble with that figure) men in various states of decomposition and idleness sat around and watched five (5) men work.  I looked very thoughtfully at each as I passed them and did the Pickens County, finger. No, not that finger.  Its a pointer finger raised in a county wide "Howdy" just above the steering wheel.  I think it is universal in acceptance and acknowledgement in all small towns across the Southern United States. Redneck or otherwise.  All the members of the road crew had a beard.  I headed on home through the back gate and noticed a small , black bear crossing just in front of me.  He seemed in no hurry and stood in the road a moment looking at me as I looked at him.  Road construction and l4 men do not seem to matter to a small bear in search of food.  Finally he ambled on across the road and I kept on winding toward my home.  A small coyote ran across the road startling me for a moment. I thought I had done the unthinkable in almost hitting a dog in a 20 MPH zone.  Seeing the coyote seemed a rare event in the afternoon but I think that maybe the drought is distressing many of the wildlife in the mountains.  We need rain desperately.   When I arrived at home Iwas greeted by the doe who apparently has come to think the field beside my home is her own special haven.  She pranced up to the back porch, looking longingly toward me. She has the sweetest, gentlest cow eyes.  Reminiscent of animals destined to live their lives gracing and being used for dinner.  I recognize her because she bears a nick to her right ear that looks like someone took a small bite out of it.  Possibly another doe.  I have a tomato that has to be discarded because it had worms.  I go into the kitchen to retrieve it for her.  But for some reason tonight I decide she must earn it. I open the door of the porch and show her the tomato. She cocks her head to one side showing off the nicked ear; like saying, "Hey, its me, OK".  I reach my hand out and touch her head.  She doesn't move or startle.  Instead she lowers her head and waits.  I hand her the tomato.  Saliva forms on both sides of her mouth as she welcomes the treat. She could use a napkin.  I don't complain though.  I have just petted a deer.  This could cost $l00 in fines in my neighborhood.  Today though, I think its worth it.  But, please don't report me.

No comments:

Post a Comment