Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dating for Dummies - Steps Six to Twelve

Dating Based on The Twelve Steps Program of AA
Ok, Steps 6-12 basically say, you do what you can about the mess you've made.  You make up when possible, you keep doing that as best you can and you tell others how you got in the mess in the first place and what you are trying to do to get out of it.  Been there, done that.  I know that for me, internet dating is not all its cracked up to be.  In fact, all I've met are bad eggs.  If the two men you meet on the internet and go out with are named Bob "Bodman" and Dale "Cummings", the Universe is trying to tell you, there's a problem with internet dating for you.  I am not saying its wrong for everyone, but I feel like a character in some stupid adult sexual cartoon and I don't think that's the Universe saying its blessing.  So now I am back to Step One, admitted I was powerless. I have been "fixed up" once with the bush hogger who also reminded me of a cartoon character. His looks were kinda' a combination of Elmer Fudd,  hunting rabbit (the man talked about shooting stuff the entire date) and Mr. Magoo.  I'm not saying he was blind but he wore dark glasses the entire time and his beady little eyes kept going back and forth and watching everyone without making eye contact with me. When I suggested we meet for coffee somewhere in town to introduce ourselves, his answer was "Don't you make coffee?" My answer to him was  "Yes, but not for you".  And he had very small, chubby fingers. And in his late 60s, driving a black vet and wearing a gold chain.  I know that's not important, but I am passing it on just the same. I have two friends now who have met someone on SeniorPeople and think its a good thing to do, but maybe God is thinking I need some more work. I have to wonder how much work it takes to date and get married. I mean I see people do it all the time who don't appear to have put any thought or preparation into the matter. Hey, there's a thought.  Maybe I am over thinking this.  Maybe I am analyzing it too much. Simple is better.  I simply can not date.  I could try EHarmony but I was really bad at Chemistry in l0th grade and I don't think I have developed a knack for it this late in life.  Plus I don't think I want to date someone neurotic and confused with a personality similar to mine. I want to date someone "cool".  This morning when I prayed I asked for God to give me the courage and the wisdom to just keep going on with my life, the one I have now and the one I hope to find.  I didn't ask for Prince Charming. And when a friend recently reminded me you have to kiss a lot of frogs, I realized that I really don't want to kiss any frogs.  Not even one. So I will let my subscription to SeniorPeople expire, just as my lust for dating seems to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment