Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dating for Dummies - Step One

OK, here goes. I am going to start dating. I realized this week that I could wake up one day and admit that I am an old woman who has not been out at night in 20 years and that I don't even know how to knit or crochet. I can sit here in my rocker but if I do, I will  probably go completely OFF IT.  So I am sending this out to the Universe and asking for cooperation in this endeavour. I am putting my best foot forward, having a positive attitude and getting new lingerie. Now I am ready but before my first date, which by the way is tonight, I have gone on line to find some help and support, just in case the Universe is busy with the debt crisis, famine in Africa and the unrest in the Middle East.  While reading on line I found that no one really knows what to tell you about dating .  The advice sounds like you are interviewing for a job.  It really is not helpful at all so I have decided to begin a series of encouragement and suggestions to help anyone who finds themselves in my position.  The first step in dating is finding someone to date.  I believe this to be the hardest, but as I said, I am on step one so that may be why it seems so difficult. I am facing this step using The Alcoholic Anonymous 12 Step Approach.  First Step:  Admit that we are powerless over being asked out.  Women can ask men for a date but I do not believe it is in the woman's best interest to do this. Therefore, you as a woman, are powerless. And men are powerless also because the woman has to say "yes".  You can look good, be good, smile and want to be asked(or answered in the affirmative), but you are pretty much powerless.  In order to regain the power in this situation, I have posted my profile on Senior People Meet.  The "most successful dating site for Mature Adults".  I certainly am looking for someone who is mature so I feel that's the place to start.  Now I have the power.  I can answer emails, flirt, send messages, ignore, ignore again, and search to my heart's content.  I feel powerful as I ignore "Looking4Luv" and send a flirt to "FriendlyFunMan" and  search out "NotASanta in Jasper"(haven't found him yet). This positive outlook has already paid off in the fact that I have a date. Not bad. Well, the date may be, but I have a date. And a person I barely know asked this morning if she could set me up with someone.   The Universe is apparently good at multitasking.  I am capable of dating,  I can date. I am OK about dating.  I am a nervous wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment